Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mean Security Guard

Just venting a little bit.

We got this security guard at our apartment, this guy is ridiculous.

First, the guy just doesn't respond to me with anything but a neutral expression. It literally doesn't change at all. I say "Hi" and he just stares at me. So I'm thinking maybe he's just like that. But I hear him talking to a lot of other residents in a cheerful manner. So I've come to the conclusion that he just doesn't like me, which I really don't mind. My wife actually hates it a lot more, and she's much more verbal about it. He's the exact same way to my wife, so it's not just me. Whatever happened to simple courtesy? I say "Hi" to people I don't like all the time (right, Collin?) Just kidding.

Second, he got hired to replace the last guy (who I liked and was a lot nicer) because the last guy supposedly fell asleep during his shifts. The guys have to work from 8pm until 5am or so, so I don't blame them. So anyway, there have been a few times now where I come home a little late, say around 12-1am, and guess what? I walk to open our main door, which is glass, and see the new guy sitting down, his head back, mouth open and dead asleep. Of course, he wakes up when he hears my key turning in the lock. I'm tempted to report him, but I'm not that mad about it.

But my thinking is, if we got two security guards who both fall asleep on the job every now and then , and one of them is nice to me and everyone else as far as I can tell, and the other is selectively nice and a complete a-hole to me, I would much rather have the nice guy around than this new guy. I don't think that's unreasonable.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're completely right, and within reason, to be all twisted-up inside about this. After all, the guy's not a Samurai warrior or anything. He's not going to get tough and physically protect the residents all that much. He's there for his eyes and as a welcoming presence, right? But it doesn't sound like Mr. Security has gotten with the program.

    As I write this, I'm drafting a letter to Mayor Villaraigosa regarding this matter. No matter what it takes, we will get some No-Doze and the previous security guy back in the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a security guard and to be honest I didn't care about where I worked. I had to tell people not to take pictures while on property! I worked in one of the nicest buildings in downtown la and of course people want to take pictures.

    I worked graveyard and I didn't like it. I would just read and keep an eye for the parking entrance. But nobody cares, the guards are there just in case. Guards are suppose to be nice, nobody loves mean, lazy guards.

    ReplyDelete